Visible Damage to Aquatic Life in Protected Wetlands.
April 10, 2017
After hearing the story behind these photos and the experience, it had a haunting chill behind them to me.
Stella Martin explained these photos were taken when herself, and another neighbor went out onto the water of the Protected wetlands, and how the damage to these waters were visibly evident from this toxic landfill dumped into our wetlands.
That the first series of photos were taken a good distance away from the toxic debris, where they went in a boat on the water of the wetlands. Where they went in the water, there was many sorts of life one expects to be living in the protected waters like lilly-pads, algae, etc. (as seen in the first few photos). Martin describes that as they boated closer, however still a good distance away from the debris, there began a major change in the protected waters.
The closer they got to the toxic debris that has been dumped, directly into the waters of our NYS/Nationally Protected Wetlands, Everything in the water is gone. There wasn't anymore algae, lillypads, or plant life. Nothing! (as shown in the photos below).
The death in the water began roughly about 1/2mile away from where the toxic landfill has filled in, as the new banks of these wetlands. The photo of the debris is the Profile photo for this site, and this debris that still sits there today to rot into our protected waters. This portion of these protected wetlands are best described as a cove, where there isn't a large channel of running water through this cove. Where the debris has been dumped begins this portion of protected wetlands to this area (Shown also in arial photo below), showing the damage can't be coming from upstream somewhere, it begins at this illegal landfill that runs South away from the debris. Which also as it runs South, these waters find themselves down to the Town of Saugerties Reservoir. I continue to wonder if Roundup as a poison can kill weeds on ground, what toxins are present in this landfill to kill all the plant life in our wetlands in such a large area? Or all of the dead trees we have posted about previously? What these Toxins can honestly be doing to the families neighboring these toxins? What damage it can cause to the young children next door?